Nelson Mandela: The Story Behind the Icon [S-14-38]
|Location:||Potsdam Civic Center: Community Meeting Room|
|Classes:||1 Session 1.5 hours|
|Dates:||Mon 10:00 AM 04/28|
What do you think of when you hear the name Nelson Mandela? In this session, we will consider the facts about his life journey, his “Long Walk to Freedom.” How did he become the icon we know today? We will explore what he means to the people of South Africa…and the world. Together we will consider what lessons we can take away from this life well lived.
Eileen Raymond spent 2009-2010 working in Port Elizabeth, South Africa on a Fulbright at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, and she has returned every year since then. What she learned there about the history of the struggle against Apartheid and the role that Nelson Mandela played in it helped her see the real flesh and blood human being behind the icon.
- http://www.nelsonmandela.org/ - Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory
- http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/mandela/ - Frontline: The Long Walk of Nelson Mandela
- Long Walk to Freedom. (1994/1995) - [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Walk_to_Freedom - Wikipedia entry on the book]
- "Invictus" - "Invictus" (2009) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invictus_(film) - Wikipedia entry]
- "Long Walk to Freedom" (2013) - [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela:_Long_Walk_to_Freedom - Wikipedia entry]