Art Workshop B [S-14-2]
|Location:||SUNY: Satterlee 314|
|Classes:||8 Sessions 2.0 hours|
|Dates:||Fri 10:00 AM 03/14, 03/21, 03/28, 04/04, 04/11, 04/18, 04/25, 05/02|
LOCAL SUMMER ART OPPORTUNITIES:
(From Nellie) Starting Friday, May 16 (and Fridays thereafter), 10:00-Noon: Art and watercolor (or draw, knit, read, or just chat - ALL are welcome!) group meetings at TAUNY (Traditional Arts in Upstate NY) - 53 Main St., Canton (386-4289). Free parking behind TAUNY, and there's a back door entrance there too. Take the elevator or stairs to the second floor. Suggested donation each time: $1 (or more, if you can). Lunch afterwards, anyone?
CALLING ALL SOAR ARTISTS FROM LEON LEBEAU'S CURRENT AND FORMER CLASSES
The St. Lawrence County Arts Council (SLCAC) in Potsdam will sponsor a SOAR art exhibit to open Friday, September 19, 2014, at the SLC Arts Gallery in the Potsdam Town Hall. This exhibit is open to all SOAR artists who have participated in Leon LeBeau's SOAR art classes. The details are as follows:
- artwork drop-off: Sept. 1-15 at SLCAC office, 41 Elm St., room 231 opening
- reception is Friday, September 19 from 5-7pm
- exhibit ends on Nov. 5, 2014
- artwork can be picked up that day (Nov.5) from the Town Hall or during the following week at the SLCAC office
PREPARATION AND OTHER INFO:
- max of 3 submissions per artist $5.00 submission fee (applied to gallery cards, postage, etc.)
- all work should be framed with hanging wire for installation
- all work should be accompanied by a label with artist's name, address, phone number, title of work, medium, and price, if for sale (or a "not for sale" note)
- sales: 70 per cent to artist; 30 per cent to SLCAC
QUESTIONS? If you have any questions, call Leon LeBeau at (315) 262-2030
Art Workshop B is designed both for aspiring artists who wish to learn basic watercolor techniques and for those who wish to advance their painting skills in water media, e.g. watercolor, gouache, or acrylic. A more structured approach will be taken with the former; a more independent interaction will apply to the latter. Instruction will be through both group and individual presentations and also through critiques.
Leon LeBeau has been teaching drawing and watercolor to SOAR participants since the beginning of the SOAR program; he has also instructed art classes at the Remington Art Museum in Ogdensburg and at the For Art’s Sake Gallery in Malone. Leon has participated in numerous exhibits in the North Country and the Adirondacks. In spring 2004, Leon received the very first “Super SOARer” award. The “Outstanding Service to SOAR” award was created in honor of his years of dedication to our organization.
NOTE 1: Here is a LINK to the list of needed supplies.
NOTE 2: Here is the list of assignments for level 2 only:
- Class 1 and 2: Bring to class 1 a photo or picture of a favorite animal. Be prepared to paint it in a modest setting so as to elevate the importance of your central image. Finish the painting for critique during class 2.
- Class 3: Create a monochrome in red.
- Class 4: Prepare a painting in which you incorporate a group of figures.
- Class 5: Construct a painting featuring one or more buildings. Pay close attention to either or both parallel or angular perspective and unique composition.
- Class 6: Be inspired by a patchwork creation and let it lead you into this painting assignment.
- Class 7: Significantly enlarge a small organic or inorganic object to fill the picture plane.
- Class 8: Create a backlit painting for dramatic effect. Keep in mind the assigned artwork is optional, but is conceived to stretch your creative intellect as well as advance your painting skills. Feel free to follow your own muse. During the last class I would like you to share with me ideas for future assignments.