"Romeo and Juliet"; Page and Stage [F-10-45]
|Location:||SUNY: Maxcy 104|
|Classes:||4 Sessions 2.1 hours|
|Dates:||Wed 1:00 PM 10/27, 11/03, 11/10, 11/17|
We will discuss Shakespeare’s text in the first class session. In the three subsequent sessions, we will view Zeffirelli’s and Luhrman’s filmed versions of the play and Bernstein’s West Side Story.
SCHEDULE (please note: the first class is 1.5 hours long and the last three class sessions are 2.5 hours long - because we have a movie and a discussion on those days):
- 10/27 - (Class is 1.5 hours long). Play discussion day (see NOTE: below)
- 11/03 - (Class is 2.5 hours long). Movie and discussion day (Zeffirelli's film version)
- 11/10 - (Class is 2.5 hours long). Movie and discussion day (Bernstein's movie "West Side Story")
- 11/17 - (Class is 2.5 hours long). Movie and discussion day (Luhrman's film version)
Mark Coleman is a SUNY Professor of English Emeritus. At SUNY Potsdam, he taught the year-long Shakespeare course for 15 years, making extensive in-classroom use of filmed performances.
NOTE: Please review the play before the discussion session on Day 1; bring a copy of the play to class, if you can.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR - Upcoming performances of "Romeo and Juliet" in the area:
- "Romeo and Juliet" - Performances of Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet" run at the National Arts Center (NAC) in Ottawa Oct. 19 - Nov. 6. (Play and ticket information).
- The Acting Company presents "Romeo and Juliet" February 21 at 7:30 in Snell Theater at SUNY Potsdam as a special event in the Community Performance Series (CPS) season. Tickets available at the Snell Hall Box Office, or call the Box Office at 267-2277 order online: www.cpspotsdam.org. (The Acting Company has garnered critical acclaim on a national scale through 37 seasons and 133 productions of great classics, together with the best of contemporary theater and several world premieres.)