Red Sandstone Trail
Hannawa Falls, NY 13647
VIEW directions and map to the Red Sandstone Trail in Hannawa Falls. Also use the map for directions to the Red Sandstone Trail at Sugar Island (named "North Entrance" almost across from Sweeney Rd. and halfway above the red star on the map).
DIRECTIONS TO THE RED SANDSTONE TRAIL...1) In Hannawa Falls and 2) for the Trail as "Sugar Island."
1. Take Hwy 11 towards Potsdam.
2. At the light by the Clarkson Hill Campus and Kinney Drugs turn right onto CR 59 (Back Hannawa Road)
3. Take this Road all the way to SR 56. [For Sugar Island as soon as you see Sweeney Rd. on the right, brake and turn left onto the dirt road leading towards the River - and parking]
4. Turn left on SR 56 and then take a left at the next corner onto Mill St. (just before the bridge)
5. (The Raquette River is on your right) Drive past the fire station on the left (do not park in their lot!); the trailhead to the Red Sandstone Trial is just a bit further, on the right. Park along the road.
1. Coming from downtown Potsdam on Hwy 11, turn left at the light at the corner of Clarkson hill campus and Kinney Drugs; then follow the directions above.
1. Take Pierrepont Ave. (SR56) past SUNY Potsdam and veer right towards Hannawa Falls.
2. Once in Hannawa Falls, cross the bridge over the Raquette River and make an immediate right onto Mill Street.
3. Then follow point “5” instructions above.