YOU’VE VOLUNTEERED TO OFFER A SOAR PRESENTATION OR COURSE…WHAT NOW?
Ed Russell, Curriculum Co-Chair, emails all presenters each semester.
This email contains a WEB LINK TO A GOOGLE FORM asking for course and presenter information. *Presenters: Please complete and submit this form.
(NOTE: The course form is a Google Form. Fill it out as much as you wish the first time, then submit it. Copy and save the URL so you can go back to it later and update any replies. You can do this multiple times, just be sure to save the URL to get back to your last version of the Google Form. FILL IT OUT AS THOROUGHLY AS YOU CAN.)
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT SOAR PARTICIPANTS:
There are now over 300 SOAR members. Though beyond full-time careers in the home and work place, they continue to be active, inquisitive, energetic and creative people. SOAR members enjoy intellectual stimulation, hands-on activities, going places, and good fellowship. They love learning new things, and they love sharing what they know.
GENERAL CONTACT INFORMATION:
Chair of the Board of Directors: Janet van Weringh: email@example.com
Curriculum and Scheduling:
Members: Mark Coleman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phil Shatraw: email@example.com
Carol McRobbie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Rossi-Fries: email@example.com
Juanita Babcock: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Chair: Carol McRobbie: email@example.com
Ambassador Chair: Bill Mein: BillMeinFromSOAR@gmail.com
Tech Support: Jerry Sharp: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Manager: Janet van Weringh: email@example.com
WHO TO CONTACT WHEN ….?
Q: I want to suggest a SOAR course or offer a SOAR course myself?
A: Any member of the SOAR Curriculum & Scheduling committee (see above) or email the office.
Q: I want to ask questions about how to set up my SOAR course?
A: Curriculum & Scheduling Co-Chairs (see above) or Tech Support (see above).
Q: I need to cancel my course or make a last minute change?
A: Your SOAR Ambassador (if known) or email the SOAR office.
Q: I need to get copies for my course?
A: Email the SOAR office @ least a week in advance of beginning of course.
HOW SOAR COURSES GET FROM AN IDEA TO THE CLASSROOM:
· Suggestions for courses go to the Curriculum Committee Chair. All potential courses are then discussed in committee and a balanced variety are chosen from a long list of possibilities.
· The Curriculum Committee Chair sends a final list of suggested courses to the SOAR Board of Directors.
· Twice a year, the Board of Directors reviews the list and ultimately approves the final version of the course list (in November for the upcoming Spring semester & in April for Fall).
· The final course list goes back to the Curriculum & Scheduling Co-Chairs who then email the presenters the web link to a Google form asking for course and presenter information. (If needed, they may contact a presenter to get more information or clarification).
· After downloading the information that has been provided in the Google form, a master spreadsheet is created which shows each presenter’s contact information, their request for space, times/dates, needed tech, etc.
· The Schedulers then put the pieces of requests together to formulate a cohesive schedule/calendar of presentations and courses. They also work with presenters and location supervisors to find the best classroom fit for each course.
· All information is entered into the SOAR database, which then populates to the website.
· A document of all course descriptions, presenters, dates, times, and locations is created and sent to all SOAR members in preparation for registration.
· Shortly after registration begins, the Ambassador team selects ambassadors for each course from the members who volunteer and The Tech Chair selects Tech Assistants for each course.
· CLASSES BEGIN! …typically the 2nd Monday in September AND the 2nd/3rd Monday in March.
· Each of the two semesters is about 10 weeks long. At the end of each semester, presenters are invited to a mid-week luncheon as a token of appreciation for volunteering to teach.
· Meanwhile, the process of setting up courses for the next semester has already begun!
Updated: 2023-06-19 10:44:41